Committees at SDFAS - San Diego French American School
School committees are composed of students, parents, teachers and members of the administration.
Their goals are to develop educational projects to improve the campus and to allow students to participate in initiatives that benefit the community.
The Green Campus Committee (GCC)
The GCC meets regularly to develop activities with two main purposes:
- To educate students to become eco-citizens, promoting awareness of strategies that respect the planet as well as steps to save energy and keep the campus clean.
- To make modifications to the facilities to become an eco-friendly campus, while promoting recycling and energy-saving strategies.
Jean-Louis Etienne is the honorary chair of the committee.
Pascal Hayem, Chair
Le Groupe Humanitaire or Humanitarian Group (HG)
The Groupe Humanitaire organizes actions throughout the year that benefit a variety of charities:
The HG participates in educational projects such as Hunger Month in November or the Jog-a-Thon in the spring. All monies raised go to charities. In the past, the school has supported a variety of organizations:
- Father Joe's - helping homeless or low-income families obtain food or clothes.
- Freerice.com - a website that allows students to use their knowledge to win rice that later will be distributed by a worldwide organization against hunger. The group "sdfas2011" was created in November 2011 and anyone can join to help win more rice.
- Hands United - an association that helps children in Burkina Faso attend school.
Frédérique Gouraud, Chair