School task forces and committees are composed of teachers and members of the administration – upon invitation, parents and students are invited to join meetings.
- Social and Emotional Learning “Collaborative” – Objective: Discussing and assessing, and supporting teachers, with respect to the implementation of RESPONSIVE CLASSROOM at all levels of the school, collaborating to overcome issues or obstacles and take stock of our progress on an ongoing basis, reporting back to the faculty and administration.
- Student-Centered Teaching and Learning Task Force – Objective: What are the best practices already in place at SDFAS and how can we share them with each other? What are the best practices outside of SDFAS and how can we best learn about them? How can student-centered teaching and learning practices be refined, enhanced and further implemented using the Responsive Classroom model? What kinds of additional workshops or experts are recommended for SDFAS teachers (e.g. bringing an expert trainer on the topic of differentiation – what it really means and ways in which to do it effectively?) What are our professional development priorities in this domain that is a major part of our school’s mission, pedagogical strategy and teaching/learning philosophy?
- STEAM integration Task Force – Objective: Inventory what the school currently does with respect to technology integration into the curriculum, beyond coding and robotics alone. In what ways can existing and newly acquired SDFAS technology tools (3D printer, laser cutter, Virtual Reality masks + learning applications, etc.) be integrated into the curriculum in different subject areas or through cross-curricular projects, electives and/or clubs.
- Service-learning Task Force – Objective: Inventory what the school currently does and has done in the past with respect to service learning and community service of all types at all grade levels (e,g. Thanksgiving Food Drive, Jog-a-thon, Blankids, Emiline Project for Haïti, etc.). Brainstorm possible projects by division or grade level and propose projects to pilot over the next two years.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Task Force – Objective: (1) What do we currently do well? How do we improve our school’s vision and culture in these areas? What are the school’s next important “first steps” toward a greater school-wide understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion? (2) The Task Force is challenged to craft an SDFAS Diversity, Equity and Inclusion “Mission, Vision, and Values Statement” to guide our school moving forward as we engage in this important work.
- Professional Development committee (3 times per year) – Objective: Gathers, documents, discusses, suggests, prioritizes and approves professional growth and development requests and initiatives as a function of available resources and using for direction the school’s project d’établissement and strategic plan.
- School Council (3 times per year) – Objective: Gives overview of pedagogical/academic organization of the school, dialogues with student and parent representatives to ameliorate school climate and functioning, solicits feedback and information from student delegates and parent delegates about school functioning, discusses and votes school calendar for the following year.
- Collaborative Solutions Committee (3 times per year) – Objective: Shares information and works collaboratively to improve internal communication, reflecting upon ways to optimize campus life for teachers, assistants, staff and students.
- Admissions Committee (30 minutes weekly) – Objective: Work collaboratively to evaluate the mission-appropriateness of applicants to the school.